Historic Districts of Lower Manhattan

The historic districts wind throughout the cobblestone lanes and surrounding the vibrant residential neighborhoods.

So, the historic map gallery found in WHAT’S GOING ON can be informative, especially regarding Lower Manhattan’s development as well as the initial population movement to the north.

In addition, the Timelines and Sidebar events portrayed, such as fires and epidemics, economic cycles, immigration waves, and social reforms, dramatically affected Lower Manhattan’s initial settlement portion. Moreover, the Great Fire of 1835 destroyed virtually every remaining Dutch settlement building, as well as the few standing survivors of the Revolutionary War British occupation fire’s destruction.

Stone Street Historic District, between South William and Pearl Streets

The last vestiges of the 1624 Dutch village lanes, at Manhattan Island’s southern tip, are Stone, South William, Pearl Streets, Hanover Square, and Coenties Alley.

Throughout the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, this historic district had a significant mercantile and residential flavor, as Dutch, English, and Jewish communities.

Following the Great Fire of 1835, which leveled the greater part of lower Manhattan south of Wall Street, Stone Street Historic District’s few landmark low-rise buildings, as well as subsequent high-rise office building conversions, provide varied, though relatively limited housing opportunities throughout Lower Manhattan.

For further info: Stone Street

(Embed Map) http://www.nyc.gov/html/lpc/downloads/pdf/maps/stone_street.pdf

Fraunces Tavern Block Historic District, at Broad and Pearl Streets

Originally built by Etienne Delancey as his family home, in 1719, it is unknown whether the Delancey’s ever moved in. Instead, it is a widely-held belief that the mansion at 54 Pearl Street was used for commercial purposes, and was sold to its proprietor, the innkeeper Samuel Fraunces, in 1764.

As an important pre-Revolutionary War meeting house, the tavern remained central to espionage and events throughout the British occupation, because both patriots and loyalists were patrons.

During the war, George Washington, a frequenter, slept here, and after his ultimate

Revolutionary War victory and triumphant march into Manhattan, General Washington gave his farewell address to his officers here, too.

For further info: Fraunces Tavern Block.

Embed Map http://www.nyc.gov/html/lpc/downloads/pdf/maps/fraunces_tavern.pdf

The South Street Seaport Historic District, at Fulton Street, from Front to South Streets, John Street to Peck Slip

Since the Dutch colonial era, the bustling East River waterfront, then along Water Street, early northward expansion encouraged private landfill projects, creating the Front Street warehouse district.

With the Erie Canal and Fulton fish market opening, early in the nineteenth century, this was the world’s busiest port, and Fulton Street was a major Manhattan thoroughfare.

North to the Brooklyn Bridge, the historic district’s cobblestone streets are lined with restored and historically significant loft buildings and renovated working-class dwellings.

For further info: South Street Seaport

(Embed Map) http://www.nyc.gov/html/lpc/downloads/pdf/maps/s_st_seaport.pdf

Tribeca Historic District, (as Tribeca North, East, West, South, and South Extension Historic Districts), from Vesey to Canal Street, between Broadway and West Street, which was the original Road to Greenwich along the Hudson River

Developers have converted almost every loft and warehouse building, and the few single- and multiple-family dwellings, too, into luxury condominium properties and rental apartment houses.

Trinity Church owned and leased this enormous swath of westernmost Lower Manhattan for farming. This district’s farmland quickly evolved into the world’s largest commodity shipping hub, which, as early as the Federal-era, had morphed as the “Pig Alley” slaughterhouses. Its warehouses and mechanical tooling sheds dominated West, Washington, and Greenwich Streets.

Post-Civil War commercial and manufacturing loft buildings lined West, Washington, Greenwich, Hudson, and Church Streets, from Canal Street to the Financial District.

The 1970s Twin Towers massive land assemblage forced the residents from Lower Manhattan’s northwestern portion. This also began the Lower Manhattan resurgence, by enlivening a civic-minded drive to preserve the area now known as the Triangle below Canal Street, or Tribeca.

And, they did succeed!

For further info: http://www.nyc.gov/html/lpc/downloads/pdf/reports/TRIBECA_NORTH_HISTORIC_ DISTRICT.pdf http://www.nyc.gov/html/lpc/downloads/pdf/reports/TribecaWest_HD.pdf http://www.nyc.gov/html/lpc/downloads/pdf/reports/tsouthext.pdf

(Embed Map) http://www.nyc.gov/html/lpc/downloads/pdf/maps/tribeca.pdf

African Burial Ground and the Commons Historic District, at New York City Hall Park and Foley Square

For 100 years, until New York was the nation’s capital, African-Americans—slave and the free alike—were buried to the settlement’s north. The nearby fetid Collect Pond’s landfill and the subsequent development buried the burial grounds.

It was unearthed, in 1991, during further Federal expansion of the Foley Square civic center. For the last 25 years, City Hall Park and Civic Center surrounding Foley Square, which lies between Church and Center Streets, has become a sought-after neighborhood. These office-building-to-residential-usage conversions have been enhanced by modern luxury rental and condominium towers, which round out the community.

For further info: African Burial Ground and the Commons Historic District


Map) http://www.nyc.gov/html/lpc/downloads/pdf/maps/african_burial_ground.pdf

National Register Historic Districts of Lower Manhattan

Wall Street Historic District

Period of Significance: 1950-1974, 1925-1949, 1900-1924, 1875-1899, 1850-1874, 1825-1849, 1650-1699

Roughly bounded by Cedar Street, and Maiden’s Lane, Pearl, Bridge and South. William, and Greenwich Streets, and Trinity Place

Schermerhorn Row Block, now New York State Maritime Museum Block.

Period of Significance: 1850-1874, 1825-1849, 1800-1824

Block bounded by Front, Fulton, and South Streets, and Burling Slip.

Fulton-Nassau Historic District

Period of Significance: 1925-1949, 1900-1924, 1875-1899, 1850-1874, 1825-1849, 1700-1749

Roughly bounded by Broadway and Park Row, Nassau, Dutch and William Streets, Ann and Spruce Streets, and Liberty Street.