Historic Districts of Uptown

Mount Morris Park Historic District, November 1971

St. Nicholas Historic District, March 1967

Hamilton Heights Historic District November 1974

Hamilton Heights Historic District Extension, March 2000

Hamilton Heights/Sugar Hill Historic District, June 2000

Hamilton Heights/Sugar Hill Historic District Extension, October 2001

Hamilton Heights/Sugar Hill Northeast Historic District, October 2001

Hamilton Heights/Sugar Hill Northwest Historic District, June 2002

Hamilton Heights/Sugar Hill Historic District and Extensions, spanning 140th to 155th Streets, between Edgecombe Avenue, to the east, and Amsterdam Avenue, to the west.

At the northern edge of St. Nichols Park, and situated primarily on Alexander Hamilton’s estate, the area remained entirely rustic until the Elevated Railroad reached its perimeter, in 1880.

Then, between the 1880s and 1920s, both ornate row houses and apartment buildings, in the Queen Anne, Romanesque Revival and neo-Renaissance styles were built, creating a neighborhood.

Hamilton Terrace, Convent Avenue, and 141st Street (to City College campus’s north) are three significant row-house construction and town- house design examples from the period.

During the 1930s, the Hamilton Heights neighborhood acquired the nomenclature “Sugar Hill” as African American professionals moved into the northern portion.

By designating several smaller districts into the Hamilton Heights/Sugar Hill Historic District (of 2000) and its extension (in 2001), the Northeast and Northwest Historic Districts (2001) were granted protection as one entire neighborhood.

Hamilton Heights/Sugar Hill Map || Info

Mount Morris Park Historic District, bounded by Adam Clayton Powell, Jr.

Boulevard and Mt. Morris Park West, spanning West118th to West 124th Streets

Mount Morris dates back to 1658, with the Dutch settlers founding New Harlem, yet, still, in the mid-19th century, the major landowners remained the Benson family, descendants of Captain Johannes Benson, who had settled there in 1696. In 1851, Samson Adolphus Benson, a sixth-generation descendant, sold the farm, which had been divided into standard City lots a few years earlier.

The historic district area, largely built up between 1850 and 1890, with rows of unusually handsome town houses, and particularly significant are the stately residences along Mount Morris Park West.

These single-family dwellings include various architectural styles, such as Romanesque Revival, French neo-Greco, Queen Anne, and the classical and Renaissance traditions popularized in Chicago’s 1893 World’s Columbian Exposition. On Mount Morris Park West, at 123rd Street, is an imposing neo-Renaissance style town house, which best exemplifies that style.

Mount Morris Park Map || Info

St. Nicholas Historic District, (the King Model Houses, dubbed Strivers’ Row), bounded by Adam Clayton Powell Jr. and Fredrick Douglass Boulevards, between 137th to 139th Streets

Constructed in 1891, and consisting of 130 row houses, with three avenue apartment houses, designed (in part) by McKim, Mead, and White, is a melee of Colonial- and Georgian- Revival styles.

The complex consists of four sets of brick and brownstone single-family homes, with contiguous rear mews.

In 1975, this historic district was included on the National Register of Historic Places, because, within Manhattan, it remains the finest surviving (and complete) example of Victorian-era town houses.

St. Nicholas Map || Info

Additional National Register Historic Districts

Manhattan Avenue, West 120th-123rd Streets Historic District

Period of Significance: 1875-1899

242-262 West 120th Street, 341-362 West 121st Street, 341-362 West 122nd Street,

344-373 West 123rd Street, and 481-553 Manhattan Avenue

West 147th-149th Streets Historic District

Period of Significance: 1925-1949, 1900-1924, 1875-1899

Roughly bounded by Eighth to Seventh Avenue, and West 149th Street 147th Avenue